Many victims and families of victims search for a mesothelioma law firm once a loved one has been given a diagnosis. Below are some frequently asked questions for anyone going through the steps of a search.
1. What if I don’t know the circumstances surrounding my asbestos exposure?
No worries; that’s what a mesothelioma law firm is there for. A dedicated mesothelioma attorney will determine the factors concerning your asbestos exposure and take the appropriate action.
2. How large of a settlement should I expect to recover in my case?
Each case is diverse and depends on many factors such as time of exposure, location, and severity of the disease. Therefore settlement amounts will vary from one case to another.
3. Why should I select your law firm to handle my case?
Our mesothelioma law firm has successful experience in handling asbestos litigation and a high compensation-to-client ratio. We have thousands of satisfied customers.
4. What if my illness prevents me from coming to your office?
Don’t worry, we understand that dealing with an illness such as mesothelioma, is stressful enough and we do not expect clients to have concerns about travel expenses. That’s why we will come to you.
5. If I file a mesothelioma lawsuit, will I get inundated with a bunch of legal bills?
No. Our law firm operates on a contingency basis. This means that we will not receive payment until you the client recover damages.
6. Is it mandatory that I sue my former employer?
No. In most cases, your former employer cannot be sued due to worker compensation laws set in place. Actually, it is the companies who manufactured the asbestos products that we go after for damages.
7. Do I have to file a lawsuit at all?
No, you don’t. Trust funds have been organized by the companies who manufactured the asbestos products, thus your mesothelioma law firm will recover compensation for you without having to experience a lengthy trial or endless courtroom visits. It should be noted, however, that all states have statutes of limitations that require the client to file a lawsuit in a specific time period – normally close to their mesothelioma diagnosis – in order to be awarded compensation.
8. Will I be part of a class-action lawsuit if I make a claim?
The answer is no. Every client’s mesothelioma claim is an individual case and never part of a class-action lawsuit.
9. If I’m awarded compensation, will the IRS try to tax me?
No. All award settlements for mesothelioma cases are tax-free and thus not subject to being taxed by the IRS.
11. Are families of an individual who has passed away from mesothelioma entitled to any compensation?
Yes. Families are entitled to compensation, even if the individual has passed away of mesothelioma, but they shouldn’t wait to contact a mesothelioma law firm because the statute of limitation laws vary state by state.