Despite 3,000 new cases reported in the United States each year, and 38,400 deaths reported as a result of mesothelioma year-round, there’s a lot that people still don’t know. Mesothelioma is a rare but extremely life-threatening cancer caused by exposure to asbestos, and awareness of the disease is key to stopping it. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, it’s important to get all the facts, so you understand not only how to fight it but what legal compensation you may be entitled to. Even if you haven’t been affected by mesothelioma, there are still plenty of ways to show your support.
One great way to do just that is by getting involved with National Mesothelioma Awareness Day. Every September 26th, people across the nation find different ways to show their support for this disease, which has needlessly affected too many lives. We at Shrader & Associates L.L.P. wholeheartedly support National Mesothelioma Awareness Day and the efforts that went into bringing more awareness to the disease. Here are some highlights of what others did this year, as well as suggestions of what you can do to get involved next time around.
How People Got Involved
- Signing a petition: This year, the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization helped get the word out on a petition calling for the Environmental Protection Agency to ban the use of asbestos in the U.S., without loopholes or exemptions. Now is an extremely critical time for this issue, as the EPA recently announced a “Significant New Use Rule” which would permit new uses for asbestos under EPA supervision. You can still sign the petition here.
- Using Social Media: In 2018, there were more ways than ever for people to share their support for mesothelioma awareness on social media. The Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation got the word out on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, using frames, hashtags, and infographics to raise awareness.
- Wearing Blue: The color for Mesothelioma Awareness is blue, and many organizations encouraged participants to wear it this year to show their support.
- Purchasing Merchandise: You don’t have to stop at digging up a blue shirt. Asbestos.com sold wristbands, while the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation made special shirts, ribbons, and wristbands available for purchase.
Other Ways You Can Show Support on National Mesothelioma Awareness Day
September 26th doesn’t have to be the only day you get involved. Year-round, there are many things you can do to help raise awareness and educate people on the dangers of asbestos and mesothelioma.
- Make a Donation: The Meso Foundation and other great organizations can always use your support. Whether it’s September 26th or not, any amount you can give goes a long way in the fight against this deadly disease.
- Share Your Story: If you or a loved one has battled with mesothelioma, it can be difficult to talk about. However, education only comes with discussion, which is why it’s so important that people share their stories. For young people, organizations like Asbestos.com offer scholarships to students who bring awareness to the issue through essays.
- Attend or Organize an Event: In the past, people around the country have gathered for Mesothelioma Awareness events on September 26th. Can’t find one going on near you? No problem. Look online for resources to help you organize your own event, which you can hold on September 26th or any other day of the year.
- Write Your Congressperson: At both the federal and state level, it is important to encourage legislators to get involved in the fight against mesothelioma, and block laws which would weaken legislation. This could mean standing up against the EPA’s Significant Use Rule or advocating for increased regulation in your own community.
How did you celebrate National Mesothelioma Awareness Day this year? Now that you know what you know, how do you plan to celebrate next year? At Shrader & Associates L.L.P., we want people to get involved in whatever way they can!
Have you or a loved one been diagnosed with mesothelioma as a result of asbestos exposure? Call Shrader & Associates L.L.P. at (877) 958-7920 or contact us here. We have helped hundreds of people earn the settlements they deserve, recouping nearly a billion in damages for our clients and their families. We know that finding a law firm that will advocate for you in your fight against mesothelioma is a big decision, and you can count on our mesothelioma attorneys to be there for you every step of the way.